Botanical & English name :
Gymnema sylvestre leaf
Benefits and Healing Effects
- Appetite Suppression: The gymnema plant contains a number of compounds, such as acidic glycosides and anthroquinones. The primary bioactive constituent of gymnema, known as gymnemic acid, is found in the leaves.
- Blocks Sugar Absorption: During digestion, gymnemic acids have a “sugar blocking” property.
- Nutritional Support for Diabetics: Evidence suggests there is merit to gymnema’s other historical use as a diabetic therapy. This value is due in part to its tendency to promote normal blood sugar and positively affect insulin production.
- Metabolic syndrome.
- Softening the stool (laxative).
- Increasing urine excretion (diuretic).